Chevron up Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right
Skip to main content

Dog or Pet noise

If you have concerns about the welfare of a pet, you should contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 4999, or via the RSPCA.

 RSPCA Website

We want everyone to enjoy living in their home and ask all residents to be both considerate and tolerant. If you are being disturbed by a neighbour’s pet we suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour because they might not be aware there is a problem.

We suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour because they may not be aware they are causing a disturbance.  You could try using our 'Dear Neighbourhood' card.

Dear Neighbourhood card

If talking does not help you should contact the local Environmental Health Officer, which is run by your local authority.  Should the local authority take enforcement action, we can use this as evidence against the dog owner if appropriate.

Find your Local Authority

If the behaviour is persistent, you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried and the situation has not improved, please complete our diary sheets with dates and times of the incidents.

Diary sheets

Gathering evidence helps. Send us copies of the sheets and fill in our online incident report form. You can deliver the sheets by hand or by post, but it may be quicker to do this electronically and attach them when completing the incident report form.

A further way of gaining evidence of a noise nuisance is to use ‘The Noise App’.  To find more about this app, please visit the website below.

The Noise App Website


  • 'Persistent Noise Nuisance' means the disturbance lasts for continuous periods of over 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days within one week.
  • ‘Night-time’ – after 11 pm and before 7 am


It should be noted that if the neighbour who is creating the noise nuisance is not a PA Housing customer then we will have no authority to act against them.

If you need support to deal with the ASB you can phone the national Victim Support line on 0808 1689 111 or if you would prefer to email or to speak to a regional team, details can be found by visiting the Victim Support website below.

Victim Support website

For more specific advice regarding noise nuisance please  visit the ASB Help website below for further information on noisy neighbours

 ASB Help Website

  • Text size