Chevron up Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right
Skip to main content

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members. Domestic abuse can happen against women and against men, and anybody can be an abuser.

This is a criminal offence, so you need to report it to the police immediately, and you must let them know if you are concerned about your safety.  You can call the police on 999. Otherwise, call 101.

Once you have spoken to the Police, please send us the incident report number and the officer’s name so we can contact them. We will work with them and yourself to agree on the next steps.

Domestic abuse can take different forms, including:

  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • financial abuse
  • coercive control / emotional abuse
  • digital/online abuse
  • honour-based violence
  • forced marriage
  • female genital mutilation (FGM)


If you believe that a minor is witnessing or in the vicinity of domestic violence then you may also wish to inform your local authority’s Child Social Work department.

Find your local authority

If you do not believe you can safely return to your home, you should report this to the police. PA Housing is unable to offer temporary accommodation. If the police agree it is not safe for you to return home, you should approach your local authority for emergency accommodation, with proof of the police verification.

Although PA housing is unable to offer temporary accommodation we can offer support, advice and guidance, we have understanding members of staff who are trained in understanding the impact of Domestic abuse.

If you are unable to live in your property on a more long-term basis, we may be able to help you if you have verification from the Police (or other appropriate Agency).

Please fill in our general online reporting form or phone us on 0300 123 2221 to seek advice.

General reporting from

If you need support to deal with the ASB you can phone the national Victim Support line on 0808 1689 111 or if you would prefer to email or to speak to a regional team, details can be found by visiting the Victim Support website below.

Victim Support

If you are, or someone you know is, a victim of domestic abuse or violence, find out how to report it and where to get help by visiting the Government website for services and information.

Welcome to GOV.UK

For more specific support and information on domestic abuse, please visit the victim and support website for guidance here. 

Additional Contact Information

English National Domestic Violence Helpline (run by Women’s Aid & Refuge)

Galop (for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people)

 Men’s Advice Line

Childline (Dealing with Domestic abuse)

  • Telephone: 0800 1111

  • Website:     Childline

  • Text size