If you or members of your family have a disability we may be able to adapt your home to make it more suitable for your needs.
Aids and adaptations can include but are not restricted to:
- Fitting hand / grab rails and lever taps
- Moving of light switches and plug sockets
- Widening of doorways
- Level access showers
- Fitting stair lifts
More major adaptations other than grab rails and handrails are normally referred to the Local Authority for a Disabled Facilities Grant.
All requests for major adaptations will only be considered if accompanied by an Occupational Therapist’s Assessment of your needs. For more information on how to have an assessment carried out you should contact the adult social care department of you local Social Services
We will maintain all aids and adaptations which we have installed, or supported, and will replace them if required providing they are still needed by the resident or a member of the family. This does not extend to replacement of portable or unsecured aids provided by voluntary agencies or the resident themselves.
We aim to:
- Ensure, as far as is practical, that residents or other family members who are elderly, infirm or disabled have homes suited to their needs.
- Provide assistance, where practical to those residents or family members, to enable them to continue to live independently in their homes.
- Subject to resourcing, to ensure that residents who are elderly, infirm or disabled, or become so during their tenancy, receive assistance in obtaining aids and adaptations within and to their home, unless their needs are best able to be met by transferring to a more suitable property.
- Making best use of our resources by, wherever possible, matching existing adapted properties to families with particular needs.